Replace Me, MTV, and Alternative Era

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Me, MTV, and Alternative Era


I was six or seven years old and i had an uncle who was young and very cool. He was in the high school at the time; a decade older than me. He introduced me to skateboarding, taught me how to do an ollie, told me that MTV was the coolest TV station ever, bought me Jackass DVDs, and so many other cool things. He definitely made me a loyal MTV viewer. MTV brought me Green Day and Avril Lavigne. I love those musicians. Until i watched a music video of "The Rock Show" by the world's pop-punk pioneer named Blink-182. And i instantly fell in love with that band until today.

I grew up listening to alternative music. I started listening to Blink-182, Green Day, and Avril Lavigne in the elementary school. I became a Slipknot's maggot when i was in junior high school. In senior high school i started listening to extreme metal bands like Dying Fetus, Behemoth, Napalm Death, Suicide Silence, Terror, Madball, Hatebreed, Cro-Mags, you name it! Many different type of extreme genres as well; death metal, black metal, grindcore, hardcore-punk, deathcore, metalcore, and the other alternative kinds of music. At my high school's last year, i added Weezer and Alkaline Trio into my favorite bands's list.

I've been idolizing singing-guitarists that were brought by MTV such as Tom DeLonge of Blink-182, Rivers Cuomo of Weezer, Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio, and Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, while most of my friends idolized football players. Actually, my taste of music is very simple; bands or solo artists with distorted guitar. That's it. And that music taste of mine was constructed by MTV.

All my favorite bands i've mentioned above and all musicians i idolize, were brought to me by MTV. I grew up at the in between era; the end of the 90s and the beginning of the 2000s. And one of my favorite things to do when i was in the elementary school was watching MTV right after school, maybe because i hung out with my uncle too much. That TV station made me a huge fan of many cool bands, cool video game (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater), and cool TV shows (Jackass, Beavis & Butthead, Celebrity Death Match, etc). MTV did make me a huge fan of alternative culture. It made me me think a lot of alternative ideas, all the time. I became a person who is not easily get affected to mainstream stuff, because of MTV.

I might be the last MTV generation of alternative era. MTV stopped bringing cool things until the mid of 2000s. At the beginning of the 2010s, i stopped watching MTV. It started bringing pathetically disgusting shits. Techno-pop singers, EDM, boybands, DJs, corporate sluts, mawkishly mushy faggots, they all suck. To be honest, i've been dissapointed with MTV since it gave global popularity to 'artificial' artists such as Justin Bieber, One Direction, 5 Seconds of Summer, and many other faggots. MTV changed the global music taste into a garbage full of MIDI drumbeats, non-distortion guitars, artificially digital instruments, digitally-tuned vocals, minimal musical skill, and a bunch of materialistic faggots.

No comments:

Post a Comment